Saturday, May 8, 2021

Online Quarantine Sets: Version 95

Ruby Fields hit the virtual School Night stage recently. It was recorded before not just a live audience of a few close friends, but inside an Australian venue. Yes, this will soon be happening in Los Angeles come around June 15th. As mentioned previously, the return of live music is already being planned out in Los Angeles. We only need to remain jealous for just so much longer. It was just fun watching a band freely playing across a stage. The bass player spent time playing it up with the drummer. The guitarist took in the vibrations in front of his amp. The vocal strained just a touch. The crowd was cheering between songs. And the video quality was just a touch grainy to give it that old school hand held video feel.


Ruby Fields

 

S.G. Goodman was up next from Kentucky. She was playing in her living room. Her window blinds were open so one could see cars driving past. And there was a decorative metal Christmas tree by the fire place. Wait, what? The video had been done months ago and School Night had just aired it.

Her vocals had that Kentucky accent and worked well with her folk country sound. Her song "Milk and Honey" had the following lyrics, "Don't call me honey, it don't change nothing when you say it." She sang those lyrics with patience to let the words' impact hit the audience with her sorrow and pain. 


S.G. Goodman

Haiva Ru closed out the night for me. It was actually a repeat showing from 2020. Yet, I had to watch it, because I loved the set so much. And then, okay, I was fooled big time in 2020 by that taped video. How? I had no idea back when I first saw the video that she played all the instruments: guitar, bass, keys and drums. I'm just not sure how folks are able to do this. I mean, how do you make sure you're starting to sing at just the right moment. I guess videos can be delayed and such to align things up, but then you have to sing and play at the same pace throughout the song. This is just something I'd never be able to do. Well, I guess that's why they're talented musicians and I'm not.

Haiva Ru


No comments:

Post a Comment