Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Quarantine Online Sets: Version 63

Got to drop by Home School (School Night) on a recent Tuesday night. The headliner was Renforshort. She did her set at the El Mocambo music venue in Toronto. She is perhaps best known for her song "afterthoughts," which was on the Disney+ movie "Clouds." That song has a tender pop sound to it. Considering the song was for a Disney movie, it gives one certain assumptions about her. However, she came across like a young pop version of Garbage's Shirley Manson. She also had an "I Don't Care That I'm A Pop Star" look. 

What I noticed: She was very careful about crossing her legs when taking a seat on a stool. 

Lyrics of the set: F*ck I love my friends.

So perhaps her stage presence is the I Don't Care attitude, but as soon as she hit her last notes her face just lit up in a huge smile as she said good-bye.

Renforshort

One of the openers was was Thomas Headon. He had a real casual approach to his set. His set was played in what looked to be a living room. He sat on the arm rest of a couch. His guitarist sat on the couch. And a percussionist played next to the couch. He came to us playing from London, England. His music nailed some pop rhythms. 

Lyric of the set: My friends said I should just forget about you, but it is hard to do so when you're still wearing my cloths.

Comment of the set from the audience: Cool music but don't put dirty sneakers on the sofa! #illcleanyouup.

To end the set, he said to the audience, "Get home safe." Ha ha, he obvious forgot that everyone was likely watching from home.

Thomas Headon

Opening the night was Sycco. Though she didn't mention it, I'm assuming she was coming to us from Australia. She loved to hit her lyrics with a perfect syncopated beat. I loved how the keys and drums hit those beats. And when the keyboardist switched to his guitar, he turned it into the sounds of an organ. There was a tropical sound to her music.  

Comment of the set: I just got the madness de javu . . . and it is totally unexplainable.

Sycco




No comments:

Post a Comment