Thursday, November 5, 2020

Quarantine Online Sets: Version 60

The Satellite held their October "Six at Six" presented by The 6660s monthly series. 

I already did a specific post on Mars Rodriguez, which I got to attend in person to do some photography. For the rest of the series, I watched online.

Chase Petra opened up that part of the series for me. I just recently came across this band during Echo Park Rising that was held online in September. The band played as a two piece, their drummer wasn't able to attend. The band actually started their set late due to traffic jams as they were coming in from Orange County, which was impacted by a fire. Their acoustic set just highlighted how great the vocals are. The band knows how to carry a tune. 

Humorous moment: "Hunter usually brings the skeleton of a song." Then the two members of the band pointed to the Halloween skeleton that was situated in front of them. 


Chase Petra

Mediocore was the second band up. I always forget that Cindy Clark has those screaming vocals. I first came across her in Earthsleep, her prior band. In that band, her vocals screeched to the point of what I have to assume strains her vocal chords. Why I would forget that fact, I don't know. Her new band, Mediocore has a garage, experimental rock feel that brings in some unusual chord structures. 

Humorous moments: during one song, the electricity went out for a split second, causing the stage lights to blink and the pedal board to scramble. Then at the end of the sent, the amp picked up a local radio station.


Mediocore

Cartalk had those folk rock vibes going on. The guitar was played down to bass level. There was a request to lower the guitar volume, but I got to say even then the music still blasted in great fashion.

Had to notice: Jail Weddings joined the Livestream. And so did Jessie Deluxe - I haven't seen this one person dynamo in way too long. 


Cartalk

Tony Knox of Crisis Actor was the only band from the series that I had never seen. The set reminded me of 80s Bon Jovi doing an acoustic rock set. He tapped his shoe to the beat of his music.  

What did I notice: the sun glasses.

And fact: the drummer of the band is learning how to be a trucker.


Tony Knox

Egg Drop Soup took their punk sounds into the world of the unplugged. This was the first time I've seen the band since getting a new drummer. Their minimalist punk set also highlighted some Halloween fun: scarecrow, Kurt Cobain, and a pterodactyl. Like Brian, who was hosted the event, I also thought the pterodactyl was an alligator.   

Lyric of the set: If I'm not supposed to dream like this, pinch me now.


Egg Drop Soup






No comments:

Post a Comment