Monday, November 23, 2020

Joshua Payne Orchestra at the LA River

I've always gone out exercising, but since the pandemic, I've switched from walking the hills around my home to walking along the Los Angeles river. The switch was driven by the fact that wearing a mask causes serious breathing problems when climbing hills and the river walk is easier on the lungs. Anyways, a couple times while walking I came across someone who was always packing up his music equipment. I finally decided to ask him what his band name was. He told me, Joshua Payne Orchestra. I looked him up on Instagram and decided that the next time he was playing along the Los Angeles River, I'd see what it was all about.

Well, off I went on a recent Sunday afternoon. His music has a grandiose style, taking inspiration from movie and opera tunes. He likes to play it loud and mighty. He played the guitar while his bandmate took to the keys. One thing I noticed was how he almost always held his Smart phone. I'm not sure the reason for that was. At one point, he put his phone atop his guitar while he played. I wondered, "How many times has the phone slipped off the top of his guitar?"

There was probably a steady attendance of around 50 people throughout his 1 hour set. I'm sure that 200 or so stopped by to take in at least part of his set.


Along the LA River


No comments:

Post a Comment