Friday, June 7, 2019

Troubadour: The Final Child with Thomas Ian Nicholas, Alisan Porter and Brian Buckley Band

I've wanted to catch Final Child since I ran into Jennifer (lead singer) at The Hi Hat back in February when she told me she had this new project. I've followed Jennifer's music career for a few years now. I first ran across her in the folk driven sounds of Bloke and Bird. For Final Child, she switches genres to some dance driven sounds. For Bloke and Bird, I caught her sets on very small stages such as Harvard and Stone. The much larger stage of The Troubadour definitely worked to her advantage, giving her the opportunity to put on a solid stage show.

Final Child

The night also included some notables. Thomas Ian Nicholas and his band hit the stage. Yes, Kevin of the American Pie series. I figured that after so many years, he might not be thrilled about being known as that Kevin, but he more than embraced it by ending the set playing a couple songs from the soundtracks. It was also cool that he let rock campers back him for a song.

Thomas Ian Nicholas
Alisan Porter is another notable who won The Voice in 2016. I'll admit that I don't watch The Voice so I had no clue who she was until I googled her name after the show. Of course, I had to google her name because her vocals were pristine. What an amazing singer-songwriter. The audience knew who she was and demanded an encore.

Alisan Porter
Brian Buckley Band closed out the night. Though he was following Final Child, Thomas Ian Nicholas and Alisan Porter, this night belonged to him. There is an earnest honesty to his music. It doesn't matter if the subject deals with his love of his wife or about his political passions. One particular story he told was about how his wife was dealing with some pain (he didn't specify). He ended up writing a song about this. When his wife was listening to the album, she immediately knew that that particular song was meant for her. So touching.

Brian Buckley Band

No comments:

Post a Comment