Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Hotel Cafe: Ladypalooza

I noticed a last minute request from Lauren Lakis, asking if there were any photographers available for a late night gig of hers. I hadn't gotten a chance to catch her yet in 2019 yet and there is just something addicting about those dark moody sounds. With that, I volunteered to shoot the set. I'm glad I did, because I got to catch a couple other amazing musicians.

Up first, was Ariana Tibi. I wrote a blog post recently where I mentioned that I've wanted to catch Georgi Kay for awhile and was finally able to catch a set at The Hi Hat. Well, for Ariana Tibi, we seem to have similar music tastes, because I've seen her around various Los Angeles music venues. I just never knew she was a musician. Her set was filled with wonderful folk sounds.

She also had her band, Luci, join her for a couple songs. That's led to a little tidbit of a story behind their song, "White Horse." The song is about saying no thanks to knights in shining armor. It was mentioned that when they were writing the song in Ariana's apartment, a plumber was working in the apartment, fixing various issues. Of course, needing help on maintenance isn't the point of the song.

Ariana Tibi
Only on Tuesdays lead singer Autumn is the person running Ladypalooza. Autumn was sporting dyed blue hair and arm tattoos while wearing a flower patterned dress. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect from her set. Punk rock? Maybe an edgier version of Katy Perry? I was surprised by some storybook melody tunes. That doesn't mean that the band can't blast it out on some songs with Autumn powering out solid vocals.

Only on Tuesdays
Lauren Lakis closed out the night for me with an 11:30 p.m. set. Her band had some fun with the MC. When introducing Lauren, the MC totally messed up the pronunciation of Lauren's last name. For a moment, I was wondering if perhaps I was saying her last name wrong. Apparently, Lauren had quietly corrected the MC, because after the set the MC came up on stage and gave the correct pronunciation. Of course, she tossed the band members under the bus for playing a trick on her.

Lauren Lakis

No comments:

Post a Comment