Saturday, June 29, 2019

The Echo: Brass Box with Bob Villain, Foie Gras and THIEF

This was the final night of the Brass Box residency at The Echo. Lead singer Ammo is also in a band called Black Flamingo, which dates back to 2010-ish. Anyone who follows me on Instagram knows that I love Black Flamingo and the various offshoots from that band, which includes Draemers and Black Box. To me, Brass Box has the sound that best reflects the Gothic sounds of Black Flamingo. That, of course, means I have a special place in my heart for Brass Box.

I do have to admit I felt a bit out of place at The Echo on this particular night. I felt like I was in the distinct minority of individuals who wasn't dressed in all black. Yet it didn't really matter all that much. The driving goth sounds of Brass Box sent shivers up my spine.

Brass Box
Supporting Brass Box were some solid artists/bands that I was coming across for the first time. Opening up the night was Bob Villain. He came up on stage and one had to look at his hands. Attached to both hands were tree branches that extended a good two feet or so. His fashion sense made you think of a mythical forest creature from Lord of the Rings. Then he started to sing and I was blown away. Seriously, it is like Neil Diamond decided to dress as a forest creature. Bob Villain's vocals are gold.

Bob Villain
Foie Gras with red lipstick smeared across her lips and a powdered white face, I immediately thought about Harley Quinn. Of course, based on her video "Psychic Sobriety," maybe she was meaning to come across as an old fashion Gothic vampire -- but dressed in white versus black. It was a fascinating set that ended all too soon.

Foie Gras
THIEF ended the night diverting into some metal tunes. Ammo happened to mention to me that she's teaming up with one of the members on a new project. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. She was definitely enthusiastic as THIEF pounded their way through their set.

THIEF


No comments:

Post a Comment