Monday, November 5, 2018

The Smell: The Mad Walls, Automatic and Marcos Vaca

I don't know if this is much of a band blog as it is an story about the Los Angeles Dodgers. I have to admit that I'm not the biggest baseball fan, but I do keep an eye on baseball. With the Dodgers in the World Series, I spent moments here and there watching the games. It was Game 3 of the World Series, a Friday night. There was also something else going on that night, I wanted to head out to The Smell to catch Marcos VacaAutomatic and The Mad Walls. I don't go to The Smell that often, but I do try to head out to that venue every so often.

I got home after work and started to watch the game. As the bottom of the 9th inning was starting, I decided to drive over to The Smell. As I was parking my car, the 9th had either ended or was about to end. As I was walking to The Smell, I passed by a small little store front where folks were sitting inside and on seats that were set up outside, watching the game on a couple televisions that were set up inside.

Marcos Vaca
When Marcos Vaca hit the stage with his solo set, the game was entering extra innings. Interesting note was that he was doing a double billing that night. As soon as his set ended, he was headed off to another venue for a tribute night.

I continued to check my phone for game updates as Automatic and The Mad Walls played their sets. Automatic reminded me of either a sped up Pinky Pinky or a sped down The Paranoyds. Basically, since I love both Pinky Pinky and The Paranoyds, I'm saying that I'm keeping an eye on Automatic. The band also joked about how they were the only band to dress up for the pre-Halloween night.

Automatic
The Mad Walls played their set without their bassist. They mentioned that she was off on tour with Death Valley Girls. That their bassist was off playing with Death Valley Girls was a nice tidbit of information. With the liquid show that was being put on (lights were used for all three bands), there was a nice psychedelic feel to their set. Their lead singer really knows how to put on a show. And their drummer had a fun way of playing the a fictional violin with his sticks.

The Mad Walls
As The Mad Walls finished their set, the World Series was still going. I walked past that same storefront and I don't believe anyone had left. I got to my car and wondered if I'd get home before the game came to an end. I decided to press my luck and got a burrito at one of my favorite taco trucks. There wasn't even a line at the truck -- probably because everyone was at home watching the game. I got home and watching the final moments of the game, eating my burrito. Not a bad night at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment