Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Quick Hit Artist Interview: Leggy Peggy

Leggy Peggy at The Hi Hat
Interview with the artist. Enjoy:

Is there a story behind when you knew you wanted to become a musician? I grew up singing my whole life, but what made me peruse learning how to play guitar was when I was hit by a car on my bicycle when I was 21 years old. I suffered from numerous injuries. A broken jaw, 7 shifted disks in my spine and a broken left hand in 3 places. It was while recovering that I made a list of all the things I wanted to learn to do using my hands, if by chance I had lost all ability to use them. First thing on that list was to learn how to play guitar. And I just simply was enamored. Now the rest is history!

What’s your favorite gig/set/tour memory? I have a few, but I would have to say any show when family and friends surprise me and fill a room with love is just the greatest. Also, any show that I have had outside truly moves me. Once I played a house festival in Auburn, CA on a stage that was built between two giant red wood trees. It was over 5 feet high and I think about that gig often.

Own Q&A. I’ll ask myself where I get my inspiration for most of my songs? I am moved to write based on real life moments. Whether it be from a specific incident in which a loved one has passed away, love gone right or wrong, my family, believing in yourself or the messed-up world due to the messed-up government in America and throughout the world.

 I was taught how to play guitar initially from a good friend I met in Venice Beach, CA. Caesar “Cheech” as everyone called him. He was from Peru and his English was amazing. But I’d find him asking what some words meant. I used to write very specific to what the song was about then I found myself using words with double meanings.

 I like my songs to have an open interpretation to apply to many different situations in life. What a song I’ve written may mean to me may have a totally different meaning to someone listening, living in a different place but being able to apply a sentence to something on their mind.

Those are the kind of songs I like to listen to, so I do my best to make each song applicable to many situations.

 As life is what you make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment