Tuesday, March 6, 2018

The Paranoyds with Pinky Pinky and Red Channel at a DTLA Warehouse

Someone I follow on Instagram posted that The Paranoyds were doing a show in a DTLA warehouse on a Friday night. I had heard about The Paranoyds, but had never seen them before. They were also playing with Pinky Pinky, a band I saw during FOMO week and really liked.

Honestly, part of me was thinking I shouldn't go. I was feeling like I was on the verge of getting a cold. Then on the other hand, I was thinking: I haven't been to a warehouse show in awhile, I've never seen The Paranoyds and Pinky Pinky was on the bill.

Of course, based on this post, I decided to say "so what" to the potential illness and head on out on a near freezing night in Los Angeles.

Opening up the night was Red Channel. A synth driven band to say the least, there were two synths on stage. There were some amusing moments on stage. One of the synth musicians lost the count when it came to their song list. "We have two songs left." Someone else in the band came back with, "We have four songs left." Then during another song, the bassist was setting up the beat for the start of a new song. All the other band members were looking at him with a look that I knew meant he was not going in the right direction. He eventually stopped playing and asked, "That's not how the song starts?" Some fun, amusing moments.

Red Channel
Next up was Pinky Pinky. They starting out the set by asking everyone to come closer to the stage, which everyone did immediately. Then off they went on their garage rock set. This band is just fun to listen to and watch. It's like every single member of the band has some very different personal styles. Guitarist Isabella has this mellow style of playing. I honestly think she barely moved her feet during the set. Eva on bass has this habit of pushing the side of her mouth out with her tongue. Part of me thinks she does it to help her concentrate during the more tricky parts of her bass lines. Then there's Anastasia on drums who hits the beats with careful perfection. 

Pinky Pinky
Closing out the night was The Paranoyds. Their punk sounds quickly started a mosh pit. I was hanging out at the front of the stage and repeatedly felt bodies bumping into me. Honestly, it was a well controlled mosh pit. Everyone had smiles as they body slammed and shoved each other around. Best moment of the night: the bassist was getting tangled up in her bass line due to her constant moving. Then she accidentally unplugged herself. This got a conversation going. "Our bassist hasn't been plugged in this whole time, we've been on backing tracks this whole time. How embarrassing!" Response, "I'm trying this new thing, it's called filler." As the set was closing out, "Does our sound smell like the brown stuff?" Yeah, I think you can figure out what was being implied. Nope, they had the place punk rocking.

The Paranoyds
As for the warehouse: out on 8th street, next to a topless bar. The event was up on the 4th floor of the warehouse. I'm not sure what the other rooms on the floor are used for, but the space for the night was nice and spacious. Perhaps the size of The Satellite (the ground portion of The Satellite). And interestingly, the stage lights were solid -- important fact for photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment