Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The Mowgli's with Mainland at the Moroccan Lounge

This was my third time catching The Mowgli's. First time was in 2013. Next time was in 2016. And now in 2018. For me, my first encounter with The Mowgli's was on the tail end of a series of awesome bands that I came across starting around 2010 that had a joyous rock sound. This includes bands like Family of the Year, Milo Green and Grouplove. In fact, the first time I saw The Mowgli's, a friend compared them to Grouplove.

The Mowgli's

For the Moroccan Lounge concert, I was able to snag a photo pass via Sideways Media. The light rain did not dampen any enthusiasm on my part nor did it for anyone else. Their one hour set was enthusiastically received by their fans. As preparations were being made to switch over from the opener's set (Mainland) to The Mowgli's, a projection of The Mowgli's name splashed across the back of the stage. Various individuals took the time to do selfies against the backdrop. When their set began, those around me were singing along to every song. The band provided fans plenty of reasons to celebrate life as their set was filled with energy and catchy hooks. What other way could you have it with song titles such as "Real Good Life" and "I'm Good."   

The Mowgli's
Mainland opened the night with their power vocal style. This definitely is a band to keep an eye on. One should really take the time to listen to "I Found God," which is a love anthem on finding the love of your life.

Mainland
Moment of the night: so for about half of Mainland's set, did the Moroccan Lounge forget to turn on the stage lights for them? The stage had no lights on. I noticed a young woman in front of me was using her phone flashlight and I was tempted to ask her to point the light in one direction or the other during this part of the set. Then it seemed like the Lounge realized what was going on and went about correcting the situation. Of course, for about a minute, they ended up blasting the stage with too much light. Maybe something only someone trying to take photos would notice.

And for me: this was the first time going to the Moroccan Lounge. I did go to that location when it was the Bordello. I have to say, I enjoyed my time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment