Saturday, October 21, 2017

Quick Hit Artist Interview: Rufrano

Rufrano at Music Tastes Good

Q&A time with the artist. Hope you enjoy:

How would you describe your sound? Describing my sound has always been a difficult task because I think of myself as somewhat of a schizophrenic songwriter. I feel like I can be in multiple genres at once. Some songs I think are more R&B, sometimes folk, sometimes psych-rock, sometimes electronic, sometimes jazzy, sometimes country, but I'm always focused on the songwriting and lyrical aspect. I admire artists with great lyrical ability like Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Randy Newman, Joni Mitchell -- people like that. I'm genre-fluid. I like too many styles of music to settle on one aesthetic and be content.

Is there a specific decision that you have made (good or bad) that you feel other bands/artists can learn from? I think it's taken me a long time to be assertive about my music and that ultimately requires confidence. Confidence is not something that comes naturally to me and I sort of have to fake it till I make it. As long as I'm putting hard work into what I'm doing I know I can feel confident. It's the people who feel confident for doing nothing that are narcissists. So that would be my advice to aspiring artists and musicians -- work hard and be kind to others so you can find a healthy ego about your work instead of cultivating some empty persona.

No comments:

Post a Comment