Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Music Tastes Good: Day 1


Music Tastes Good Day 1.

Let's just start out with the huge positive. Last year at Music Tastes Good, it was HOT, middle of a late summer heat wave. This year, the weather was perfect. Even at high noon. So sure, Alvvays said during their 5:20 p.m. set, "It's nice there's a breeze now. We're benefiting from that greatly now," but who could argue the point that Long Beach had perfect festival weather.

It's always nice when you catch a band playing a dive bar (and let's be honest, Silverlake Lounge is a dive bar) and the next thing you know they're playing a music festival. That was the case with Spirit Mother who opened up the day at the Long Beach Stage. What did I notice: they sure weren't intimated by the large stage. They roamed that stage like professionals.

Spirit Mother
L.A. Edwards set had me thinking back to an episode of The Andy Griffith Show, The Guitar Player, where Andy helps Jim Lindsey join a band. L.A. Edwards had you believing in the revival of old time Americana country.

L.A. Edwards
Vagabon had one of the quotes of the day, "I didn't prepare any jokes to tell you or I would so we'll just have to sit here while I do this (tuning)." This singer-songwriter would fit in perfectly at Hotel Cafe. And if it weren't for those shades she was wearing, I'm sure her eyes would have shown a fierceness that would juxtapose against those plaintive vocals. And those teeth, she sure knew how to show them.

Vagabon
Juana Molina and her silver hair had the most layered vocals of the festival. I was memorized.

Juana Molina
When I saw Diane Coffee, I immediate tried to think of a movie comparison. Shaun Fleming's (lead singer) set was so lounge singer theatrical that my mind immediately went to The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Then I took a look at the Music Tastes Good website and the bio for Diane Coffee mentioned Little Shop of Horrors. Hmm, I say I wasn't that far off.

Diane Coffee
Best set of Day 1: Alvvays. Awesome cool melodic pop driven vocals. Dreamy. That's just how I love my music.

What I noticed: the lead singer made sure everyone in the band was taken care of in terms of their set needs. The leader.

Lyrics I loved: You don't have to leave, you can just stay with me.

Alvvays
Diane Coffee wasn't the only theatrical set of the day. of Montreal had their flamboyant x2 fun. The last time I saw of Montreal was in 2012 at the Culture Collide music festival. That time, I'd say that the flamboyant side of the band was via backup dancers. This time, it was the lead singer.

of Montreal
The last moments of the festival was a rush between stages to catch Built to SpillRideWeen and
Joyce Manor. The two bands at the New Orleans Stage (Built to Spill and Joyce Manor) couldn't help but mention the more -- let's say -- larger bands playing over on the Long Beach Stage. Built to Spill actually wondered out loud why everyone wasn't over on the other side to catch Ride. Their fan base yelled out, "We're here to see you." Yeah, their fan base was there to catch one rumble in the jungle. Joyce Manor joked about cutting their set short so that they could rush over to catch a couple songs of Ween. Of course, I'll admit that I cut out early on Ween to end my night with some Joyce Manor punk -- was I wrong, I don't think so, but I suppose that's based on your taste of music.

Joyce Manor

Built to Spill
As for the "main" stage, Ride had those speakers vibrating, the lights flashing and the crowd screaming. I'd say that Ride probably had the best light show of the festival -- personal opinion. It made for some awesome photos. And what was funny for me: towards the end of the set, the lead singer Mark Gardener started to chew some gum. I started thinking, "They're done with their set." Ha ha, I was wrong, they went on for a few more minutes.

Ride
Based on my informal polling of t-shirts, I'd say that most of the festival goers were there to see Ween. I don't think their fans were disappointed with their alternative college rock sound. There were some amusing moments during the set. During a tuning break during the set, Dean Ween, lifted out his right arm as he tuned with his left. Whenever their drummer hit that beat, he'd point it out with his fingers. The crowd loved it. Then later, there was a stage runner with a cowboy hat. The guy wanted to put it on the head of Gene Ween. Security chased him down and dragged him off the stage. But hey, Gene later said "Thank you" and put the hat on his head.

Ween
If you're interested in seeing more photos from Day 1, click on this Facebook link.

No comments:

Post a Comment