Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Chinatown Summer Nights: August 2019

One of my favorite annual summer events, Chinatown Summer Nights, came to a conclusion for 2019 on a recent Saturday night in August. Interestingly, I interviewed 4 of the 5 artists that I saw on this particular night. It made for a special event.

Mara Connor opened up the day with her sweet Nashville sounds. She ranks right up there with anyone when it comes to sweet vocals. This was my first time catching her set this year. I mentioned earlier this year that I like to keep an annual tradition: catching Mara Connor, Pu$$y Cow and Jenny O at least once a year. With the year entering the 2nd half, I can now say I've seen Pu$$y Cow and Mara Connor. Let's hope Jenny O plays a show in Los Angeles by December 31st.

Mara Connor
Nicole Kiki Jaffe came up with her rock sounds that were enhanced by a cello. I was told randomly by someone that the cellist also plays with Meg Myers. As is her norm, she sang The Cranberries' Zombie. I love that song and love hearing her sing it.

Nicole Kiki Jaffe

Inspired and The Sleep was a new band for me. They have some chill pop sounds. Their sound causes one to float a couple inches above the ground. The band got the prime golden hour. Temperatures were drifting lower as the sun dipped below the horizon.

Inspired and The Sleep

Oddnesse is a band I just saw a couple weeks back in Highland Park. The band was the same, except for a different keyboardist. I did notice that. Her Bob Dylan style catches your attention and holds it.

Oddnesse

VIAA closed out the night. I hadn't seen her since 2016 at the Bootleg Theater. She got the crowd dancing to her catchy sounds. In fact, two kids couldn't have had more fun. They were putting the moves on that would challenge any of the adults in the audience.

VIAA

No comments:

Post a Comment