Thursday, February 7, 2019

Quick Hit Artist Interview: Lauren Lakis

Lauren Lakis at The Viper Room
Interview with the artist. Enjoy:

What's the story behind when you knew you wanted to become a singer? I first wanted to be a musician when I was 15 and discovered riot grrrl bands from the 90s (especially Hole, Babes in Toyland, Sleater Kinney, etc) but never had the confidence to really pursue it until years later. I started singing in my first band about 5 years ago, and started to feel more capable of writing my own songs as time went on. After surviving a terrible break-up and my mom going through a traumatic car accident, something shifted within me and I decided to get out of my own way and finally write my first solo album, which I just released this summer.

Do you find greater enjoyment writing a great song or performing a great song? Why the choice? They are such different experiences, it's hard to choose! Writing a song is spiritual - the process feels like I'm channeling it, like the song is coming through me as if I'm a conduit. It's very personal, and finding those pockets of inspiration are exhilarating. On the flip side, connecting with an audience and my band mates while we perform is sort of the whole point of music making - to share in this human experience through art. I don't think I can choose because both elements are important.

Own unique band comment. My band mate, Becca (keys/bass), and I are both from the same neighborhood in Baltimore . . . but we never knew each other then. We met when we were both servers at Cafe Gratitude here in LA. Small world!

No comments:

Post a Comment