Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Quick Hit Artist Interview: Jane Machine

Jane Machine at the Viper Room
Interview with the artist. Enjoy:

Q. What is currently influencing your music? A. My first album was mainly inspired by internal conflict and desire. I think that’s how first albums can work because you basically have all of these things in your life that have led up to you finally putting out a collective body of music and so there’s kind of a lot of shit to get out. These days I find it’s been moving a little bit outward, the subject matter of the tracks. Ideas for songs generally come to me in dreams or right at that moment where you’re about to go to sleep or just waking up. I also don’t just sit around playing with melodies, they generally just come to me because I have something I want to say and about 80% of the songs are written at once. So these days the fact that I am recording all of my music out in the desert definitely has inspired the amount of space in the songs and I even think the amount of space and more softness in the vocal takes. I find myself writing more about issues that are out of myself and concern more of a larger human or an environmental scale versus my own personal demons which was the first album. But hey we all have a concern for both, don’t we?

Q. Where is your favorite spot to write music? And why the spot? A. I have a studio out in the Joshua Tree area where I write and record the majority of the music. It’s on 5 acres so there is really nobody to disturb and it is on top of the Mesa so you really do feel like you’re on the moon. As I just mentioned, I write and arrange about 80% of the songs at a time and then I’m really lucky to have some beautiful musicians (who I play with live who are part of the creative integrity of the project now) track guitar or drums or bass or whatever didn’t feel right for me to play.

Basically, I’ll create a really advanced demo and then we will play with that for concerts or whatever and that has truly shaped the new tone of Jane Machine and it’s a tone that I think is a little bit more alive than the previous album. Jules de Gasperis has played a huge part in the project as more than a drummer, but also has helped a lot with production and structure ideas, as well as mixing all of the songs. Sonically for the recordings his mixing work and little production details are why it sounds as large and punchy as it does. I’m really looking forward to releasing the new tracks very soon and can’t wait for you to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment