Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Satellite: Spare Parts for Broken Hearts

The Satellite hasn't had many residencies this year. In fact, as of October, they might have had just one residency, The Colour Coast. If my calculations are correct, Spare Parts for Broken Hearts was The Satellite's second residency and it was a well deserved residency. This band started out in Long Beach and have been playing around for a few years now, slowly building their fan base. On this specific Monday night, they gave the crowd an entertaining hard rock/punk set. The crowd responding by packing the front of the stage like they were anticipating Green Day to show up. The crowd was packed with who's who of Los Angeles musicians: Ever So Android, Graves and The Bad Weather, Holy Wars, Lauren Ruth Ward, LP, Satellite Citi, The Vim Dicta. There were probably a few more that I didn't notice or don't personal know.

Spare Parts for Broken Hearts
Opening up was singer-songwriter Nicole Kiki Jaffe. I say singer-songwriter, but her sound has an undercurrent of rock. The photographers were out for her set. I think there were 7 or so of us hanging out at the front of the stage. We weren't the only ones hanging out. The Satellite was filled up nicely first her 9 p.m. set.

Nicole Kiki Jaffe
Ramonda Hammer closed out the night. As per their Instagram account, they were there to melt faces. It just so happened that throughout the set, there was a big circle face projected on the white screen at the back of the stage. From my notes, this is my fifth time seeing Ramonda Hammer in 2018. I never get tired of catching their set. Though I will admit it is dangerous hanging near their bassist. He swings his bass all over the place and very close to the front of the stage. I started to get concerned that he might accidentally swing his bass right into my camera lens. 

Ramonda Hammer

No comments:

Post a Comment