Thursday, October 4, 2018

LA Phil 100 Celebration: Las Cafeteras and Phoebe Bridgers

Sometimes you just don't know something is happening until the day it is happening. That happened with the LA Philharmonic's 100 celebration this past Sunday (September 30th). 

On Saturday night, I heard reference to the celebration. A group of friends and me got together for dinner and it was mentioned that one friend decided not to come to dinner, because he wanted to catch the LA Philharmonic 100 celebration. I assumed that meant it was happening that night.

Las Cafeteras

On Sunday, I was driving to and from the Farmers Market when I heard on the radio about all the events that were happening around town the day. I decided to see what various events were happening around town.

Phoebe Bridgers
What drew my attention was the schedule for what was happening outside the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Las Cafeteras and Phoebe Bridgers were playing sets just across the street from the Concert Hall. I seem to have a history of catching Las Cafeteras at music festivals. I first saw them at a long forgotten music festival called Silverlake Jubilee. I later saw them at Music Tastes Good in Long Beach. It seemed like a fun time to catch them again outside the Concert Hall. As for Phoebe Bridgers, I'd never seen her before. However, I am acquaintances with her current bassist who has played bass for a number of local bands that I follow. Since I follow the bassist on Instagram, I knew who Phoebe Bridgers was. I also happened to catch their one song set on Conan O'Brien. I have to say that Las Cafeteras and Phoebe Bridges kicked it out of the park.

LA Philharmonic musicians

It was actually an interesting line-up outside the Walt Disney Concert Hall. I didn't stay for the whole day, but opening up before Las Cafeteras were members of the LA Philharmonic. There were two groups from the LA Philharmonic. One group was made up of violas. And another featured a trio. After Las Cafeteras and prior to Phoebe Bridgers was the Calder Quartet. They're a group of musicians that met at USC. They played some classical music. So from classical sounds to Mexican inspired rock to classical music to moody indie-sounds. A very interesting afternoon.

Calder Quartet

No comments:

Post a Comment