Monday, October 8, 2018

Eagle Rock Music Festival

After more than a few years of not heading over to the Eagle Rock Music Festivals, due to scheduling conflicts and such, I finally was able to attend this festival that meant so much to me when I first started exploring the Los Angeles music scene.

The main reason I wanted to head over to the festival was to catch Lily Waters, the first band I saw at the Emerging Stage. I just can't get enough of lead singer Gabbi's vocals. Just this old school deep vocals. And then she just seems to patiently wait for the right moment to continue her singing. Being a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, her vocals just remind me of the patient method that Le'Veon Bell employs when running the football. (Yes, as a Steelers fan, I'm not all that thrilled that Bell plans to sit out half the season.)

Lily Waters

Super Lunch came up next for me on the same Emerging Stage. Of the 5 bands I saw at the festival, this band definitely had the youngest crowd. My bet is that half the crowd was under the age of 18. With that, I had to take a look at their Facebook account to see where they've played. My bet was The Smell. Well, it looks like they've played their a few times, but have also hit up venues such as Bootleg Theater, The Echo and The Hi Hat.

What did I notice: the guitarist broke his string during the very first song. Luckily, someone in the audience had an extra string so he spent the next two songs fixing his guitar. He's had some bad luck in terms of the band. It was mentioned that they had played a set recently without him, because he had put the wrong address in his GPS.

Super Lunch

It was a change of venue to catch Americana band Dead Wren. Though four of the bands I caught were at the Emerging Stage, I headed into the Women's Twentieth Century Club house to catch this band. This venue had a relaxed vibe for the folk sounds of Dead Wren. Seats were set up in front of the stage and folks drifted in and out throughout the set. What was cool about this stage was that free desserts and lemonade were offered.

Dead Wren

It was back to the Emerging Stage to catch Small Forward and Billy Changer. I previously saw Small Forward in April at the Broke LA festival. They have a cool pop sound. Similar to Super Lunch, there was a distinct vibe around the crowd. There were definitely a number of friends to catch Small Forward. After the very first song, the crowd was yelling out songs that they wanted to hear the band play. One member of the band, replied to one suggestion, "That song will be played later."

Small Forward

Billy Changer closed out the night for me. I've known about Billy Changer for a little over a year now though this is the first time I caught the band. On this specific night, it was essentially, Lily Waters, but with different roles. This time, Robert (who plays guitar for Lily Waters), took lead vocals. Gabbi switched over to keys with backing vocals. It was a good way to close out the night. Since I'm commenting about the audiences for various bands, I should mention that for this band, Numb.er/Feels was there to support.

Billy Changer


No comments:

Post a Comment