Monday, September 25, 2017

Concert Review: ZiBBZ, Transviolet and Sazzie at The Satellite

ZiBBZ
So the title of this blog is in reverse order to how the bands/artist hit the stage. This was one of those nights that I had circled. Why? I have fond memories of seeing both ZiBBZ and Transviolet from prior years. I saw ZiBBZ back in 2014 when they played at Brokechella (now Broke LA). I saw Transviolet TWICE during their 2016 residency at The Satellite. Since I seldom see bands twice during their residency, I think that has to say something about my impression of them.

Also, I like to make lists of my favorite new bands that I've come across in various years. Both made my lists. ZiBBZ in 2014 and Transviolet in 2016.

Sazzie
Opening up the night was Sazzie. She provided some audience interaction. She spent much of her set either dancing on the edge of the stage or dancing in the audience. While in the audience, she pulled folks near and danced. I swear, there's a little Dr. Seuss in her style.

Transviolet came up next. One thing I remembered about Transviolet's sets was that the lead singer, Sarah, towards the middle or end of the set would jump off the bass drum. I was hoping to capture a photo of that moment. I got caught off guard; however. To start off the set, she immediately got atop the bass drum. I rushed my camera into position, because I knew what was coming next. Then the lights went dark and she jumped. Honestly, even if the lights hadn't gone dark on me I doubt I would have captured the moment as my settings weren't set. Oh well, next time.

What did I miss: Transviolet played mostly new material so New Bohemia, my favorite Transviolet song, didn't make the list.

What did I notice: I took a look at their set list and had a chuckle seeing "Talk" listed a couple times.

Transviolet
ZiBBZ closed out the night. This brother-sister duo opened up the night with a bang and just didn't stop. Well, ok, there was a fun pause. Towards the end of the set, they brought out this toy electric device that had six wires coming out from it. They mentioned on stage the name of the device, but I don't recall what they called it. Anyways, they brought up some volunteers and each was told to hold one of the wires. Then they kicked into their song. Coco (the sister), also holding a wire, would touch the hand of volunteers and different sounds would come out. There were some technical glitches that caused an amusing sibling squabbling, but they resolved it. It was a fun little experiment of science and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment