Monday, May 21, 2018

Zebulon: Death Valley Girls, Collapsing Scenery and Prissy Whip

I came across Death Valley Girls in March 2017. I noticed that they were playing at Zebulon, supporting Collapsing Scenery's residency. I circled the date.

Prissy Whip opened the night with a performance by the lead singer that mimicked neurotic toy soldiers, attacking their child owner. And then the guitarist played his set like a malfunctioning robot from an Isaac Asimov novel. Think about that and you can imagine the band's sound. Oh, and their friends tossed roses on stage throughout the set. Yep, good way to begin a night.

Prissy Whip
I caught Collapsing Scenery once before at Zebulon. They were playing with a band I love called The Big Pink. This band uses a light show powered by various projectors to highlight movements of their band members, especially that of the lead singer. Interestingly, the first time I saw them they used only a very small portion of the Zebulon stage to put on their show. This time, they expanded across the whole stage. Their sound is intense and tight. There is no relaxing.

Collapsing Scenery

Death Valley Girls had their fans out as well as their photographers. The photographers, like me, lined the stage well before their set began. Unfortunately, for us photographers (unless you use flash), the lights were dimmed for their set. One of the guys at Zebulon, in fact, came up to me and said to me before their set, "Sorry, about the lights, I know photographers like brighter lights." The lights were dimmed, but Death Valley Girls was bright. Their music is like a shot of adrenaline to the heart. This band makes you want to jump around and toss your hair around (if you have hair to toss around).

Death Valley Girls




No comments:

Post a Comment