Monday, August 28, 2017

Echo Park Rising: Sunday

So on Friday and Saturday, Echo Park Rising was a big rush of bands. I was doing photography for BuzzBands so I was off and running both days though I will admit I technically slowed things down on Saturday. I actually shot more bands, but was out there longer so wasn't rushing as much.

On Sunday, I slowed things down even more as I was going there for my own enjoyment. I spent most of my time at the Lost Lot with a brief run over to the Lost Room to catch Spare Parts for Broken Hearts, a hearken back to my Kiss or Kill days.

For me, Holy Wars and Jennie Vee were the highlights of the day. Holy Wars music drips with emotional resilience. Their song "Orphan" has one thinking of those they've lost and those they will lose in the future. Lead singer Kat jumped off the stage a couple times to interact with the audience. As for Jennie Vee, I saw a very brief set by her at The Satellite late last year. When I say brief, I mean it was like 20 minutes. It was so awesome catching a full set. There's something about her stance on stage the just screams out, "Yes, I'm awesome cool on stage." After her set, someone came up to me and wanted to know every detail that I might know about her. I told him as much as I could.

Night Talks put on a show in the mid-afternoon heat. Lead singer Soraya was dressed in red. Their pop sounds had me going like always. SadGirl's under 21 fan base packed the road that was above the stage. One member of the band played perhaps 75% of their set facing these fans. It made me love the set all the more seeing that.

Other bands I caught were Black Paw and Spelles. Black Paw made sure folks out for the fourth day straight were awake. Spelles spread arms wide.

A couple other notes about Jennie Vee that I just have to mention: a.) Kate from ExSage was playing with her, awesome. b.) I couldn't help but notice that they all took off their blue wristbands (indicating that you had all access to the stage) before their set.

If you're interested in seeing my photos from Friday/Saturday, head on over to Buzzbands.la.

List of bands shot on Friday:

Draemings
Freddy Spacer
Freedom Fry
GENR8R
HIPS
Hydro Kitten
Iconique
Sugar Candy Mountain
Trabants

List of bands shot on Saturday:

Alexander Anderson
Brass Box
Cillie Barnes
City Rabbits
Color TV
Dead Dawn
Edith Crash
Ever So Android
Lobalam
Lucy and La Mer
Maxie Dean
MetronOhm
New Evil
Pip Dreams
Tennis System
The Fiends
Twin Temple
Zilpha


Echo Park Rising 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment