Monday, September 9, 2024

NFV Song Spotlight: Janelane's Killing Time

Janelane recently played The Fable during a Ryan Pollie night. I first came across Janelane in 2017 at Echo Park Rising. I was shooting the festival for Buzzbands. I technically wasn't suppose to shoot Janelane. I had been assigned the venues east of The Echo. Yet, I decided to check out Janelane over at Spacedust (the store closed at the end of 2023), which was a store west of The Echo. I've been a fan ever since. The band is fronted by Sophie Negrini with a rotating cast of musicians. 


Janelane at The Fable

Perhaps my favorite song is about the pain of love not returned, "Killing Time." The song was initially released in 2015, a couple years before I came across the band. It was re-issued in 2024. What would I describe as the main difference between the two versions? I would say that the 2015 version's vocals are a bit more quirky, perhaps influenced by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians. The 2024 version's vocals are more dreamy. It also uses a touch of guitar buzzing. 

Janelane at The Fable

The song's lyrics remind me of the Angela Chase / Jordan Catalano moments from the TV series "My So-Called Life." Why?

I never understood how I had opened up your locker.
I never knew the combination or how to tweak.
The dial so that I could steal all that was inside.
Plus no one ever really saw me as a thief. 

Don't those lyrics just remind you of those locker room encounters from that TV show (if you've ever watch it before and if not, you must do so)? Perhaps with a little more petty crime involved. 

Janelane at The Fable

The song explores the pain that lead up to that locker invasion. 

My fingers ache and I can barely look you in the eye and 
Wish I could clock you out to cure the malady 
I know I said that only ever would my legs be open 
Still stings that you just wanted peaches and cream

One can just feel the emotional distress. All this against musical melodies that have you wanting to run through a field of grass on a perfect spring day. If there is anyone in the Los Angeles pop-folk scene better than Janelane at mixing lyrics about heartbreak and desire that causes a teardrop or two to form while at the same time crafts beautiful tunes that leaves you with a smile, please do let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment