Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Quick Hit Artist Interview: Sam Marine

Sam Marine at Highland Park Bowl

Interview with the artist. Enjoy:

What’s the story behind when you knew you wanted to be a musician? I knew I wanted to be a musician when I was about 9. I had already been fascinated with music on the radio and men and women singing and playing guitar on MTV, VH1, and all the records, tapes, cd’s music docs, and movies about musicians my music obsessed young parents had. My teenage neighbors played me the guitar solo intro to Dinosaur Jr’s song “Out There” when I was 9 or 10......after that I asked for a guitar, thought about guitars, drew guitars on paper (drum kits too) everyday till I had one.

Do you have a message or objective behind your music? If so, what is it? I don’t believe I have a direct or specific message behind my music. If I anything, I’d say I hope my music makes people feel like things can get tough but sooner or later everything is gonna be alright. Also, to look out for people, be generous when you can with your time, money, ideas, etc and treat people kindly.

Own final thoughts. I was born in Gainesville, FL. Yes, I’m a MASSIVE TOM PETTY fan. However, I grew up in Vero Beach, FL. It’s a little beach town in south east Florida. Oddly enough a lot of somewhat famous people come from there. Alison Mosshart of The Kills and Dead Weather is from there. Jake Owen (country singer) is from there. My very own brother plays drums for Phosphorescent (Nashville based band). Marty Fish (tennis player) is from there as well as a handful of other athletes, writers, musicians, visual artists etc. It’s a somewhat natural progression to end up in Gainesville where the music was if you’re from Vero Beach. So I moved back to my birthplace to play rock n roll the second I was old enough. I didn’t even wait to finish high school (I got my GED later). And oddly enough, once you’ve lived in Gainesville a while another natural “next step” for most of the musicians I knew was to move to BROOKLYN!!! So I did just that. I played music around NYC for nearly 9 years before I moved to LA 5 years ago. I love LA and here I’ll stay. Thanks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment